Re: Density Range & Pt/Pd (was: HP5+ for alternative processes)

From: Ender100@aol.com
Date: 04/03/04-12:58:39 PM Z

Terry,

A few other questions, if you don't mind.

1. With your ratio of 1:4 Platinum to Palladium, are you then mixing that
1:1 with Ferric Oxalate?

2. Are you using any restrainer?

3. What developer are you using?

4. Are you using digital negatives, either imagesetter or inkjet? Or,
"traditional" negatives? I am assuming "traditional" negatives since you
mentioned you are achieving a base plus fog of .015. Which film? HP4? I would
be interested in knowing the densitometer you are using that accurately down to
.015—most of them that I have seen measure no more than log .01 and even at
that, there is a margin of error of plus or minus .01 or .02 log density.

5. Have you tried digital negatives with this "mix"? Results?

6. What would you say is the "look" or qualities of the prints that you are
achieving that seems to set them apart from other Pt/Pd prints?

Mark Nelson

PS: I noticed Cyanotype "Rey" — Since Rey means King in Spanish, I assume
there is a modest connection between you and the process ;)