Re: Pre-shrink paper for gum (oa to Katherine)

From: Christina Z. Anderson ^lt;zphoto@bellsouth.net>
Date: 04/03/04-04:02:00 PM Z

I coat my paper and let it dry in a room that has a window that lets light
in thru slatted venetian blinds. It is quite light in there, enough to not
require bulbs during the day, and as long as I don't have direct sunlight
hitting the print, I have experienced no problems. I suspect that there
could be some hardening of the layer, as Katharine has noticed. Whether in
practice this creates a problem, it hasn't for me. In other words, if there
was non-image exposure that "fogged" my print, I haven't noticed. Gum is
not like a gelatin silver print, where fogging will ruin a print, or, at
least, if minimal, make the print not "zing". You can still get the gum to
budge off the highlights by the soak in development--in other words, up to a
point it is not irreparable, as it is in BW printing. Who knows; maybe the
extra exposure fog adds stability to the gum layer.
     It is ironic this point has come up now, because it was because of you
guys on this list that DON'T use bug lights to coat by, that I became
liberated from that worry in the first place. Finding out that Keith coats
his gums outside in the garage or was it the shade was mind boggling from
trying to see yellow dichromate coatings under a yellow bug light.
Chris