Re: Digital camera advice...

From: Tom Ferguson ^lt;tomf2468@pipeline.com>
Date: 04/03/04-06:43:04 PM Z

No reason for them to be a "dirty word"! If you can go a little higher,
shop around for a Sony F717. They have released the F828 to replace the
717 and a lot of large retailers are "sale selling" the remaining stock
of 717s. A fine travel and daylight camera, not a good studio strobe
choice. Very nice and fast lens. A bit big, but very flexible with the
split body (easy to shot high or low).

>> I know that digital cameras are a bit of a dirty word on this list,
>> and I have so far resisted, but have decided to take the plunge and
>> get one, partly to save developing costs. I need one for $300-350
>> with a high enough resolution to make decent 11x14 archival
>> prints/negatives for use in alt. photo and print work. My work is not
>> primarily in pure photography but I use photo processes in my mixed
>> media prints.
>>
>> I know I will need 4.0 MPix or higher for this. I have waded through
>> many reviews and cannot seem to find one that suits, they all have
>> too many gimmicks! Does anyone have a recommendation? I know for
>> under 350 bucks I won't get the best, but that's all I can afford. I
>> have no great interest in video, zoom, or the other fancy stuff that
>> most come with. A macro feature would be useful though.
>>
>> Any advice is much appreciated.
>>

>> Jane.

Tom Ferguson
http://www.ferguson-photo-design.com