Re: Pre-shrink paper for gum (oa to Katherine)

From: Judy Seigel ^lt;jseigel@panix.com>
Date: 04/04/04-01:38:51 AM Z

On Sun, 4 Apr 2004, pete wrote:

> I have a hunch not a tablet of stone job. That a lot of the problems
> associated with with gum printing lie at the door of the paper substrate not

Actually, as I point out in my article, a lot of the supposed "problems"
of gum are what they call in medicine "iatrogenic," that is, caused by the
"doctor." In fact, from 1897 to 1939 gum pigment stain got at most a
paragraph or two in the texts... Not a big deal (and still isn't) until
Anderson came along with his 100 % solution of sodium dichromate & the
"system" that didn't address this self-created problem, but still got him
into the "Handbook of Photography."

J.