Re: stinky paint

From: PhotoGecko Austin ^lt;gecko@photogecko.com>
Date: 04/05/04-08:34:42 PM Z

Chris,

I once lived in a very small town with a paper processing plant on the
south side and a sugar mill on the north side--both of which emitted a
stench similar to freshly placed cat poo. Depending on the seasons of
harvest and the prevailing winds you usually got one or the other all
day long anywhere in town.

I found a great solution to the odor problem. I moved to a different
town.

What's funny is, I was working a great deal with watercolors at the
time (including ultramarine and cadmium) and NEVER NOTICED the stink of
the paint. Or, better put, never *attributed* the stink to the paint.
I even have vague memory of later throwing the tubes out believing they
had *absorbed* the town's odor.

I guess context and perception are everything.

So (he wondered right out loud), is the stink archival. . . ? Does an
old gum print of similar ingredients stink?

Go easy (and try a clothespin),
John
John Campbell
PhotoGecko Studios & Gallery