Re: Leaf and Canon questions

From: Tom Ferguson ^lt;tomf2468@pipeline.com>
Date: 04/06/04-11:06:24 PM Z

I used the 10D at a commercial studio I freelance at. Nice camera. Very
similar to the Fuji S2 I own. I didn't do dig negs with the 10D, but
there is no reason it wouldn't work well. Compared to the Fuji S2, the
10D is "just slightly" lower in resolution and "just slightly" less
color accurate, but has a far nicer viewfinder and slightly nicer
software (at least on a Mac).

Sensor size and film size aren't really comparable. The advantage of
larger sensors is primarily in lowering the noise level and to a much
smaller extent it helps with increased dynamic range. Both of those are
nice, but 'assuming" you are going to shot at iso 100, probably not a
"see-able difference" in an alt print! That is assuming both the APS
sensor and the medium format back have the same pixel count.

Lots of folks have "done" pinhole and/or zone plate with dig. It isn't
digital's best use. One of digital's weaknesses is noise, and the
higher the iso and/or the longer the exposure.... the worst the noise.
Pinhole is hard without fast "film" and long exposures (zone plate is
more forgiving). I "suspect" that while an interesting digital
experiment, pinhole will be an area of photography where film is still
King.

I haven't used the current production Leaf backs (just older ones).

Tom Ferguson
http://www.ferguson-photo-design.com