RE: Daguerreotype base-metals - More

From: Liam Lawless ^lt;liam.lawless@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: 04/08/04-06:47:27 PM Z

I believe the spelling is "Brashear", and there's a formula at
http://www.ecu.edu/chem/glassblowing/Data.htm#silver. It's the use of a
caustic alkali - ammonium or sodium hydroxide - that makes it
potentially dangerous; if ammonia could be used instead the pH is very
unlikely to ever reach the critical point (pH 12.9) beyond which
fulminating silver can form. However, I've (inadvertently) silvered the
insides of glass vessels with a simple solution of silver nitrate and
Rochelle salt. Don't remember the exact strength, but probably would
have been around 10% silver nitrate and 5% Rochelle (i.e. 10 g silver
nitrate + 5 g Rochelle salt in 100 ml pure water). Leave to stand
overnight and you should get an excellent mirror if the glass is clean.

Liam