Re: Daguerreotype base-metals - More

From: Jack Fulton ^lt;jefulton1@comcast.net>
Date: 04/08/04-09:14:00 PM Z

I 'silvered' some of my handwriting on glass many many years ago via
this process.
It is important to do this outside as poisonous gasses are formed. One
does not wish to breath these vapors. Of course be careful. If you are
mirroring a sheet of glass it is wise to paint the back after you've
created the silvering. The glass needs to be very clean.

Today I feel it also important to wear a respirator.

Jack Fulton

On Apr 8, 2004, at 5:47 PM, Liam Lawless wrote:

> I believe the spelling is "Brashear", and there's a formula at
> http://www.ecu.edu/chem/glassblowing/Data.htm#silver. It's the use of
> caustic alkali - ammonium or sodium hydroxide - that makes it
> potentially dangerous; if ammonia could be used instead the pH is very
> unlikely to ever reach the critical point (pH 12.9) beyond which
> fulminating silver can form. However, I've (inadvertently) silvered
> the
> insides of glass vessels with a simple solution of silver nitrate and
> Rochelle salt. Don't remember the exact strength, but probably would
> have been around 10% silver nitrate and 5% Rochelle (i.e. 10 g silver
> nitrate + 5 g Rochelle salt in 100 ml pure water). Leave to stand
> overnight and you should get an excellent mirror if the glass is clean.

Rest at pale evening . . .
A tall slim tree . . .
Night coming tenderly
Black like me. Langston Hughes