RE: Adjacency Effects Again

From: Gregory Popovitch ^lt;greg@gpy.com>
Date: 04/09/04-09:12:44 AM Z

There is a discussion of adjacency effects in the
"theory of the photographic process" by Mees & James.
A very brief summary:

- manifest adjacency effects are usually directional, and can be
  exesperating.
- adjacency effects are supressed by strong agitation
- "Hansson" found that they tend to be small for active,
  concentrated developers and for a high bromide concentration
- they can arise during washing because the bromide diffuses away
  rapidly in the wash water relative to the developer,
  which continues to act without the restraint of the bromide
  -> this is prevented by using a stop bath
- they decrease as development time increase and disapear with
  full development

There is also some information in the book "Image clarity" and
the indeed state:

"Adjacency developers are necessarily Metol based. Phenidone is not
restrained significantly by bromides. Hydroquinone is
affected only by large quantity of bromides."

But maybe pyro is similar to metol in that respect?

gregory