Re: Water heater advice

From: William Laven ^lt;wmlaven@platinotype.com>
Date: 04/09/04-09:29:43 AM Z

I've trod (or did I trodden?) that path many times.

Aquarium heaters work fine. Buy a good one, though. They have cheapo
versions that aren't very accurate, but others which can hold +/- 1/2
degree. A kitty litter pan works for the bath container, too, unless
you need something deeper. And don't worry about pumps to circulate
the water around as someone else mentioned. Convection current works
fine. The Jobo tempering baths work without pumps.

I also have a couple 5 gallon drums with aquarium heaters for
pre-soak and rinses and washes for high temp processes, ie 85 degrees
for Pt/Pd and higher for color. With really deep tanks like that
there's not as efficient a convection than in shallow tubs so you'll
have to play around with the temperature setting to insure what's at
the bottom of the tank near the spigot is at the correct temp. But,
again, shallow tubs hold temp evenly throughout.