Re: Phillips Daylight deluxe bulbs as UV source?

From: Judy Seigel ^lt;jseigel@panix.com>
Date: 04/14/04-02:13:21 PM Z

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004, Sandy King wrote:

> I used Daylight tubes some years ago for carbon printing and they
> worked fine for me, but others who had tried them with the iron
> processes (Pt/Pd, cyanotype, VDB, etc.) report that exposure times
> are much longer than with UV tubes such as the BL, BLB, SA, etc.

A couple of interesting articles in the (ever) upcoming Post-Factory
address these issues -- Peter Brickell has tested 3 lights on 3 colors of
gum --BL, Daylight, & Arc lamp... I'd done some rudimentary & relatively
useless tests along those lines years ago & "knew" too much to pursue
them, -- but Peter's tests suggest that exchanging bulbs could be very
effective for gum printing -- in fact I'm having the thought that, because
the color is so much stronger, there's the one-coat gum. True, times are
much longer -- say a half hour versus 12 minutes -- but does it matter?

John Yang DOES use two sets of bulbs for contrast control with POP. AQA &
BL...

But Sandy -- what made you leave the daylight bulbs for carbon? Was it
the times? Or the nuisance of changing bulbs?

Judy