Re: calling all uber geeks

From: Nick Makris ^lt;nick@mcn.org>
Date: 04/20/04-07:08:15 AM Z

Barry, here is my experience with this problem - it may or may not work for you depending on your CAD program. I have AutoCAD, DataCAD and DeltaCAD ($50 at deltacad.com) and use DeltaCAD almost exclusively, mostly because it's so easy to use. The following works in DeltaCAD.

Open a new drawing and insert a JPEG of the Photo. Manually trace the image. Remove the JPEG layer. Scale the entire drawing to match the real size of the product and save the file.

I've have found that some programs can be used to rasterize a JPEG and save as a DXF file but my experience is that every little nuance becomes a small line and the size of the file become unmanagable - not to mention the huge number of lines it generates.

This is crude but effective in some circumstances - it may or may not be useful for your purposes.