Re: calling all uber geeks

From: Gordon J. Holtslander ^lt;holtsg@duke.usask.ca>
Date: 04/20/04-05:32:42 PM Z

These two programs might be worth looking at:

3d object converter
http://web.axelero.hu/karpo/

and

GLView

http://home.snafu.de/hg/

Either one can read in a bitmap image and output and stl file. I don't
know if they will actually convert a bitmap file to a stl file

stl is a description of an object using a mesh of triangles. The program
will have to interpret the image as a texture. I have no idea if it
would work.

You may have to use some sort of intermediary program to convert an image
into a structure that a cad program could understand. Maybe ImageJ
http://rsb.info.nih.gov/ij/

Gord

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004, Barry Kleider wrote:

> Here's a wild problem:
>
> I need to convert one of my digital photos to a .stl file - the file type used in CAD programs.
>
> Has anyone ever done this sort of thing?
>
> I'm doing some more of those tactile graphics - bas relief and such - and came across a Titan FDM from Stratysys. It's a machine which is used to make 3D prototypes from CAD files.
>
> I'm guessing, but here's my logic: my photo image and the the CAD image share some common parameters in that they are both visual maps.... Isa there a way to save them in .stl format?
>
> OR I may need to print out my .TIF or .JPEG files and load them into a CAD program as scans.
>
> (Maybe I just solved my own problem.)
>
> Barry
> Barry Kleider
> Photographer. Arts Educator.
> 612.722.9701
> email: bkleider@sihope.com
> Web: www.barryphotography.com

Gordon J. Holtslander Dept. of Biology
holtsg@duke.usask.ca 112 Science Place
http://duke.usask.ca/~holtsg University of Saskatchewan
Tel (306) 966-4433 Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Fax (306) 966-4461 Canada S7N 5E2