Re: Re: calling all uber geeks

From: Sam Wang ^lt;stwang1@bellsouth.net>
Date: 04/21/04-10:19:08 AM Z

Dwayne,

Good to know you were thinking of NIH Image as well. One of the "problems" in running the Demo
Macro in it is that all computers are way too fast - the demo was over before you realized what
happened. On a pre-PowerMac machine it ran beautifully.

Wayne wrote the software for the Mac (I'm told all scientists at NIH have 2 computers on their desks: a
PC for filling out forms and a Mac for their work). ImageJ was developed later from it because of
demand by someone else. Because of it being free, also because it was so much fun to use, NIH Image
was used by a lot of schools. It had a real time customizable curve before anyone else. You can also
insert any color you want into the 256 color LUT, just one more thing that made the software fun.

Like the way ImageReady can animate Photoshop layers, NIH Image used STACKS to animate - you can
see through a brain a thin layer at a time, for instance. There are a lot of very cool downloadable
samples at the site.

Sam

> From: DWAYNE SANDALL <sandall@shaw.ca>
> Date: 2004/04/21 Wed AM 10:42:51 EDT
> To: alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca
> Subject: Re: Re: calling all uber geeks
>
> Sam,
>
> That's the progam I couldn't think of!! I used that to build 3D models out of data from a scanning
microscope, that ended up on a CD-ROM called 'Images from the Edge" - boy, oh boy do I ever miss the
somewhat whimsical days of university research - and I mean whimsical in the best possible way - ie,
no clients calling you at the 11th hour wanting things re-done or else their entire marketing campaign
will go belly up :-)

> I think I need a sabbatical from work to go back and muck around with all the things I did as grad
student - I wonder how fast the G5 is compared to the old quadra 900 I had then :-)