Re: Faux pyro for Epson 1280

From: Clay Harmon ^lt;wcharmon@wt.net>
Date: 04/26/04-11:05:47 AM Z

Sandy:

I have been using this method with great success for several months.
First, my two-cent theory on why this is working so well on the 1280: I
noticed after making a boatload of negatives that this color scheme
drains the color inks from the cartridge at nearly identical rates.
This is in contrast to the orange colorization method, which, of
course, uses the yellow and magenta colors disproportionately. Could
it be the fact that the ALL the heads/nozzles/jets are laying down ink
that I am getting the smoother highlight gradation versus the orange
spectral density negatives?

In regard to the 8 bit vs 16 bit question, I do all my editing AND do
the contrast adjustment curve in 16-bit mode, and then switch to 8-bit
mode for the last indexed color step. I have tried 'curving' my image
in 8bit mode, and the results are much less satisfactory when I move on
to the color indexing step. So I would recommend a slight deviation
from Keith's instructions and make sure and apply the curve in 16bit
mode, and only convert to 8bit right before you do the color indexing
step. I have created a photoshop action that does all these steps with
a single button push, so the whole thing is basically brainless at this
point.

I HIGHLY encourage anyone with a 1280 to try this method. IME, it is
bomb-proof.

Clay