Re: 8x10 camera

From: Tom Ferguson ^lt;tomf2468@pipeline.com>
Date: 08/02/04-10:23:55 AM Z

It looks like a wonderfully reconditioned B&J. I believe they were all
ugly gray when first made, someone did a very nice looking job.

I have one of these in 11x14. It is a good, not great, view/field
camera. Compared to a Wisner or such (much much more $$) the B&J is
heavy, doesn't fold into a fully protected box (only important for
backpacker types), is less rigid (the back of mine moves slightly if
aimed downward and then loaded with the film holder weight). There are
no center detents or even center markings for the movements.

I don't want to sound too negative. I have happily used mine for
perhaps 12 years. I like mine, just don't expect it to be a $3000
Wisner! With a bit more care, you can take the exact same pic as the
$3000 Wisner, but it will take extra care. I'll keep mine and spend the
difference on film :-)

As has already been said, check the bellows!

Check Ebay. I think, even with 7 holders and a reducing back, you may
be "slightly" overpaying. You will need a lens board and lens (4x5
lenses generally won't work, not enough coverage).

The 11x14 (and I "THINK" the 8x10) were sold with an extention bed that
allowed long lens and macro shooting. Mine screws into the back of the
bed and allows the bellows to be full extended. This seems to be
missing from yours. You can probably find one on Ebay (but it won't
match the nice finish on yours). If long lenses or macro is important,
you truly will want that extender.

On Monday, August 2, 2004, at 07:56 AM, Adam. Waterson wrote:

> hey, I'm thinking about buying my first 8x10 camera... It is from a
> private seller who is a friend of a friend. he sent me some images.
> it is complete, with 7 film backs, a 5x7 reducing back, a lens....
>
> http://www.chubbychili.com/1___still/d___not_mine/8by10a.JPG
> http://www.chubbychili.com/1___still/d___not_mine/8by10b.JPG
> http://www.chubbychili.com/1___still/d___not_mine/8by10c.JPG
> (since we're not allowed to send attachments, i am referring u to my
> website)
>
> I offered him 700, what do u guys think?
> Adam.

Tom Ferguson
http://www.ferguson-photo-design.com