Re: Gum dichromate issue

From: Judy Seigel ^lt;jseigel@panix.com>
Date: 08/10/04-08:58:21 PM Z

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004, Christina Z. Anderson wrote:

> I have been on this search to find the first person who did tricolor
> gum--there's a conflict in the literature on this, surprise, surprise. As
> Andre Fuhrmann says, there may be someone who invented it, but the question
> is who is the first to be known to perfect the process. As far as gum over
> cyanotype goes, I would bet that Sam is up there, until someone corrects
> me--not the first to do it, because it was done in the late 1800's, but to
> perfect it in tricolor. As far as tricolor straight gum (no cyanotype
> layer) it would have to be the Austrians.

I think the search for the first to *perfect* tri-color gum in any form is
to chase -- oh, call it a mental construct. But for what it's worth, my
copy of Volume Seven of the complete Self-Instructing Library of Practical
Photography, compiled & edited by J. B. Schriever and Thomas Harrison
Cummings, published by American School of Art and Photography, Scranton
PA., USA, 1909, has Chapter LXIII, Part V, "Three-Color Gum Process," on
page 589, based on cyanotype for the first layer and gamboge, carmine and
crimson lake (the latter 2 in equal parts for the red) for the next two
coats.

I also like the last section, which says, " Registration is easily
accomplished by holding the print and negative up to a bright light and
looking through them."

In any event, by the time the method got into a book of this nature (a
many-volume series), it was probably pretty well established.

Judy