Re: IS THIS TABOO? FW: PRICES FOR PT/PD PRINTS

From: Ender100@aol.com
Date: 08/19/04-10:02:58 AM Z

Hi Folks,

Some stray thoughts on the topic.

Here is a Blog from Brooks Jensen at Lenswork on this topic:

http://www.lenswork.com/blog/040819.mp3

Bob, I think you are right about considering the market you have available to
you. Selling work depends on disposable income, level of understanding and
appreciation of the process used and quality of printing, and most of all—how
well the potential buyer likes the finished print. When someone looks at a
print and it really sings to them, then they get that feeling that they have to
have it hanging on their wall to look at.

I think Brooks Jensen does point out a bit of irony in his blog—photographers
in general do not seem to purchase photographs. I think that is too bad and I
am not sure what that says about photographers!

I would rather give a print to someone who appreciates it and can't afford to
buy it than sell one to someone who is buying it just because they can afford
to.

How many people fret over price more than the content of their work?

How many people print editions of work that languishes on a shelf someplace?

I wonder if it is not less wastefull to make one print for a portfolio and
just print on demand?

I enjoy making more than one print of an image if I am doing a different
interpretation of it. I suppose I would also enjoy making more than one print if I
sold the first one hehehehehe

Mark Nelson
www.precisiondigitalnegatives.com