Homemade vacuum easel, was Re: Photog Forumulary - UV Box and Frames - comments?

From: Dave Rose ^lt;cactuscowboy@bresnan.net>
Date: 08/22/04-09:57:13 AM Z

Materials:
20x24x3/4 Birch plywood
20x24x1/8 Masonite 'pegboard'
short length of 3/8" steel or brass tubing
3/8" plastic or rubber hose
small hose clamps
vacuum cleaner with intake modified to accept 3/8" hose
matte black paint
epoxy
20x24 clear polyester
masking tape

After positioning the masonite on the plywood, measure the location of the
pegboard holes on the plywood below. Use a router to create a series of
shallow, interconnecting grooves in the plywood, corresponding to the
location of the holes. The grooves should not extend to the perimeter of
the plywood. Drill a 3/8" hole into the edge of the plywood, intersecting
that hole to the nearest groove. Glue 3/8" steel or brass tubing into the
hole with epoxy. Using epoxy or construction adhesive, glue the pegboard
onto the plywood. Make sure you use plenty of adhesive for a tight,
leak-free bond. Paint the pegboard flat black. Attach the vacuum to the
easel. The vacuum will now draw air through the pegboard holes. Affix a
sheet of clear polyester to the easel along one edge using masking tape.

To use, position negative/paper underneath the polyester and turn on the
vacuum. The polyester will pull tight against the easel surface, providing
intimate contact between negative and paper.

My light box is a simple wooden box housing (8) 24" Sylvania 350BL tubes.
The light box is mounted to the darkroom wall and the vacuum easel is hinged
on the lower side of it. When I open the box, the easel drops to a
horizontal position for easy loading. Total cost of the project was less
than $150 for materials, about 15 years ago.

An alternative to pegboard would be using a thin sheet of rigid, open-celled
foam inserted into the plywood.

Best regards,
Dave in Wyoming