RE: OT. USB Cables

From: Schuyler Grace ^lt;schuyler@bellsouth.net>
Date: 08/22/04-01:31:09 PM Z

In my testing and other tests I've read about, there isn't any real
difference between the two, as long as you buy/have a reasonably decent
cable. Supposedly, the USB 2.0 cables use higher grade components and have
electrical specs (capacitance, resistance, impedance, etc.) that are geared
to promote higher data transmission rates, but in reality, even a decent,
factory-made USB 1.1 cable will work fine for a USB 2.0 connection, with no
noticeable loss of transmission speed/quality. That said, unless you are
buying a marketing person's colorfully packaged USB 2.0 cable, the cost
differences between the two aren't very much, if any. If you are wondering
about an existing cable, just try it and see whether it works (you won't
hurt anything).

-Schuyler Grace