Daguerreotypes again

From: Marie Wohadlo ^lt;mwohadlo@press.uchicago.edu>
Date: 08/23/04-07:57:46 AM Z

It seems that there are those who HAVE learned the Dag process on their
own, although I would never ever ever even think of beginning to deal with
mercury without consulting with multiple professionals on this. Perhaps
someone can confirm or deny this, but I have heard that the phrase (and
character of) the "Mad Hatter" came about because there once was a day when
men's top hapts were made to shine with.....guess what.....mercury......and
they eventually went insane (for lack of any actual diagnoses).