Re: Daguerreotypes again-mercury

From: Jeff Sumner ^lt;jdos2@mindspring.com>
Date: 08/23/04-07:35:36 PM Z

Menthol. Trying hard to quit (again) but those durn Europeans... I get off
the plane in Portugal, there's an armed guard standing underneath the Nao
Fumar sign toking on a Portuges Suave. Hard to say no.

I read a citation in an old manuscript that described a test done by a
photographer- he hung a piece of gold leaf in his developing studio (staffed
by women) and within a week the gold leaf had fallen to the floor, an
amalgam had formed from the mercury vapours.

Nasty stuff. There was a fellow in Oz that haunted this list a few years ago
that suffered acute mercury poisoning. His experience wasn't a nice one.

There are ways of dealing with such things, though, and even when done in a
one-off way, mercury developed daguerrian images can made safely with
minimal exposure to the nasty stuff.

JD