Re: Daguerreotypes again-mercury

From: Robert W. Schramm ^lt;schrammrus@hotmail.com>
Date: 08/23/04-07:50:24 PM Z

Jeff,

I read that same reference. That was back when daguerreotype studios were
working full blast turning out hundreds of images per week. They used
leather belts driven by steam engines to polish the plates, etc.

Heres an idea I read about that sounds like it would work. Coat a copper
pl;ate with metallic mercury at room temperature. Make a sandwich of an
exposed Dag plate , a mask so the plates don't touch and the mercury coated
plate. Tape it all together and let is sit around for a week or so.
Supposedly the plate will develop. No Hg fumes to amount to anything. Don't
know if this works. Havn't tried it but it sounds like it might work OK.

Bob Schramm
Check out my web page at:

  http://www.SchrammStudio.com

&gt;From: Jeff Sumner &lt;jdos2@mindspring.com&gt;
&gt;Reply-To: alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca
&gt;To: &quot;alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca&quot;
&lt;alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca&gt;
&gt;Subject: Re: Daguerreotypes again-mercury
&gt;Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 21:35:36 -0400
&gt;
&gt;Menthol. Trying hard to quit (again) but those durn Europeans... I get
off
&gt;the plane in Portugal, there's an armed guard standing underneath the
Nao
&gt;Fumar sign toking on a Portuges Suave. Hard to say no.
&gt;
&gt;I read a citation in an old manuscript that described a test done by a
&gt;photographer- he hung a piece of gold leaf in his developing studio
(staffed
&gt;by women) and within a week the gold leaf had fallen to the floor, an
&gt;amalgam had formed from the mercury vapours.
&gt;
&gt;Nasty stuff. There was a fellow in Oz that haunted this list a few years
ago
&gt;that suffered acute mercury poisoning. His experience wasn't a nice one.
&gt;
&gt;There are ways of dealing with such things, though, and even when done
in a
&gt;one-off way, mercury developed daguerrian images can made safely with
&gt;minimal exposure to the nasty stuff.
&gt;
&gt;JD
&gt;
&gt;
&gt;On 8/23/04 9:20 PM, &quot;Robert W. Schramm&quot;