RE: Daguerreotypes again-mercury

From: Etienne Garbaux ^lt;photographeur@softhome.net>
Date: 08/23/04-08:50:31 PM Z

Gregory wrote:

> I have to admit that I am amazed that
> [Daguerre discovered the process], though.

Indeed! It was known at the time that silver halides were light sensitive,
but what leap of logic made him ask, "What would happen if you suspended an
exposed silver iodide plate in mercury vapor?"

Back to hazards: Mercury is definitely extremely bad for you, and demands
that you treat it with vigilance and respect. In the Dag process, it's
also the sneaky one. You can smell the halide vapors, and as long as you
haven't locked yourself into a closed space, when you do smell them you can
just walk to fresh air and safety. Mercury fumes are more or less odorless
(so I'm told -- I've never even considered finding out for myself), so you
won't get any warning if you have a problem with your setup. So while Bob
and I disagree on some points, it's only a matter of degree.

Best regards,

etienne