Re: physical developers

From: MARTINM ^lt;martinm@SoftHome.net>
Date: 08/25/04-05:36:10 AM Z

> While this solution is fully capable of chemical development (if it
> makes imagewise development... not just fog...) how can you argue that
> this is a physical developer? Well, I can see one way that is
> possible, but still the mechanism is very different from Lumiere and
> Seyewetz's developer or other classic ones. This SP-4 seems like a
> developer that develops developable grains by means of chemical
> development, and then grow the developed grains at the cost of
> undeveloped grains, but I wouldn't put it in the same class as others.

You are right. SP-4 differs from a "traditional" physical developer. Like I
did in a previous post I should have called that type of developer
"colloidal (or solution-physical)developer". Whereas in physical development
silver is supplied externally, colloidal developers contain strong silver
solvents to provide the silver from the emulsion's own silver halide grains.
The result of the developing process might be the same in both cases
(Lumière/Seyewetz' physical developer or SP-4): formation of colloidal
silver.

Martin