Hi, and where do I begin? - An Introduction of Sorts

From: Ehud Yaniv ^lt;eyaniv@telus.net>
Date: 08/26/04-12:46:53 AM Z

Hi everyone,

I have been following the group for about 3 weeks and am now more lost than
previously. Following the discussions can be very confusing - I don't know
where to begin.

I am now just getting into photography after an absence of over 10 years and
think I would like to really learn how to do some of the alt-processes. To
that end, I have read The Keepers of Light and I have just ordered the
Christopher James Book.

I was wondering if you folks can recommend some books specific to various
processes, especially for the Daguerreotype. Are there any good books
related to that process (I used to work in safety and first aid so I am not
too worried about keeping safe around the mercury) for the modern
photographer.

I intend to learn to do Daguerreotypes if I can and will probably join the
Daggeurean Society after the first couple of pay checks of the school year.
Are there any other alt-photo associations I should consider?

As for my work, I will probably play with pinhole and make copy negatives
until I can afford a view camera again. I had one once but sold it when I
sold all of my cameras to help pay my wife's university tuition (which is
why I left photography in the first case).

Finally, are there any list members in the Vancouver BC area?

As for myself, I am a school teacher working with multiply and profoundly
handicapped students in a high school setting. I will also be studying
photography part-time at the local community college (Langara for the
locals).

Thanks in advanced.

Ehud Yaniv

PS: I have a Victorian Beaver top hat which my wife bought for me a few
years ago. I don't wear it much but it still looks very good. She bought
it for me as my first degree is in English History. And while some say that
I am strange, no, I am not mad as a hatter.

When you hold the head of a snake the rest is nothing but rope.

Akan (Ghana) Proverb