Re: Sodium Bisulfite

From: Martin Angerman ^lt;paleophoto@adelphia.net>
Date: 08/26/04-08:28:12 PM Z

Here is the basic chemistry reminder. My apologies if it is too basic, but
it's better not to leave too much for granted. Sodium sulfite has two
sodiums and no hydrogen ions. Sodium bisulfite has one of each. Kind of
like sodium carbonate (washing soda) and sodium bicarbonate (baking soda).
In solution the difference is pH. pH is related to the negative log of the
hydrogen ion concentration. for example pH7 has 10^-7 hydrogen ions per
liter (neutral). pH3 has 10^-3 (acid), and ph10 is 10^-7 (basic). Working
from this, you can make the solution one, the other, or a mixture by
adjusting the pH.

The smell comes from the hydrogen compound being volatile, when the sodium
salt is not. Also, the sodium comes off completely when it is dissolved,
whereas the hydrogen does not completely dissociate. This is the same
principle as free basing, in order to volatilize (and inhale) alkaloid
drugs. They all exist in a kind of equilibrium:

"acidic" "basic"
SO2 + H2O <>H2SO3 <> HSO3- <> SO3--

(Sorry about the lack of subscripts)

As one goes from right to left, the smell goes down, and one moves toward
sulfite. If one takes a sulfite solution, and adds one half of the MOLAR
concentration in HCl, one will get a bisulfite solution, plus salt (and some
smell). The opposite would work with adding carbonate or hydroxide to a
bisulfite solution.

Clear as mud???