Re: Sodium Bisulfite

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 08/27/04-03:21:58 AM Z

Katharine Thayer wrote:

> Christina Z. Anderson wrote:
> >
> > Martin said, big snip: The metabisulfites are
> > > listed as "freely soluble" in water.
> >
> > Isn't this perhaps why Scopick made his claim?
> > Chris
>
> Well, it's obvious from what he writes that he *believes* that the extra
> solubility makes the potassium metabisulfite solution wash out of the
> paper faster, but as I said, believing something doesn't make it true,
> and I'm more apt to trust my chemist consultant who says it doesn't work
> that way.

Perhaps it's already perfectly clear to everyone, and saying it again
would just be overkill, but just in case there's anyone who is still
confused about this:

1. Solubility has to do with how much of the material you can get into
solution.

2. However, once the material is in solution, the solubility of the
material has no bearing on how fast the solution will move out of paper
into water.

3. So the belief that if potassium metabisulfite is more soluble in
water, that means the resulting solution will leach out of paper into a
water bath faster than a sodium bisulfite solution will, is simply not
factual.

Hope that's clear,
Katharine