Traveling Portfoliio Cheers

From: Rocky Boudreaux ^lt;rocky@pdq.net>
Date: 08/30/04-09:44:30 PM Z

Thanks to Marek Matusz in Houston for inviting Duane Douthit and myself
(Rocky Boudreaux) to view the traveling portfolio in his home this last
Saturday. Also thanks to his wife for the excellent home treats (those who
didn't come really missed out on a double pleasure).

When I participated in the traveling portfolio I hoped each viewer would
offer opinions both pro and con in a constructive manner so I could consider
the views of others and it is with this intent I offer these. I am trying to
express the views of three different people and hope that should I miss
represent anything they would publicly correct me on this list. It would
also be good if they would post their opinions. With all that said here goes
and remember opinions are worth what you pay for them. Please no hate
emails.

Overall the portfolio is a fine example on many different styles of
Historical Processes. Thanks to all of you for sharing!

Gregory Popovitch - A daguerreotype that was very nice. Some fringing around
the edges but a better one then I will probably ever make. It may have been
our lighting but it seemed a little dark overall in the image area. Good
image but the process to me seems more important then the image itself.
Thanks I enjoyed seeing it.

Don Bryant - The Kallitypes looked very good. Made a couple of us wonder why
we do Platinum/Palladium. Personally I never see enough depth contrast and
detail in the VDBs. As I have never done the process personally I can't say
if it is the process or the print. I liked the subject matter of the old
green house or so it appeared to be. I love complex scenes with lots of
detail.

Jim Collun - Hope I spelled that correctly, my hand writing is terrible.
Platinum over Pigment is interesting but I found the colors too intense. The
scene with the pipes and guard rails worked better then the Red Button which
is actually pink. Why not a pink button, I asked? The button looked like a
pasted on sticker. Perhaps if the edges were feathered or the tones were
more muted it would have pleased me more. Little more finesse would help but
we agreed that we could all feel the dust or powder. The broad range of gray
tones was wonderful and well executed. I'll need to try the Pigment over
some day.

Ray Bidegain - Platinum/Palladium as I remember. We all like the tone
texture and detail of the older gentleman with a cane print. The technical
side of the print was good but the cropping was not pleasing. The legs on
the left being cut off and the extra vacant space on the right behind him
was awkward. We cropped it tighter so the right border came to the man's
back and the size was reduced to 5x7 or so and overall it looked much
better. I don't actually remember the nude or the hands with the flower
pedals but it seems they also were technically good and pretty well
executed. Maybe Marek or Duane can add something. I believe we all had
questions about the process, paper etc. and felt the information was a
little lacking. We wanted to know more.

Robert Cockrell - We disagreed on the 5x7 waters edge Platinum/Palladium. I
though it was a little soft and needed to be printed with more density and
contrast. The others liked the softer approach. It was noted how the upper
right corner was almost clear and as it progressed downward the tones,
density and detail increased very smoothly. We all agreed the hole in the
rock picture needed a little additional work. The deep shadow area to the
right of the hole lacked any detail and we would have liked to see a little
there. The rocks and foliage on the left side of the picture was too light
and lacked density and detail. The nude gum print was well posed. The hand
position was excellent. Often an awkward hand position ruins a photograph,
this one did well. We all would have liked to see some detail on the
highlight side of the body. I believe we all agreed the highs were a bit
blown out. I though the negative should have been more centered in the
coated area. The others said just crop it with a matt.

Grace Taylor - VDB still eludes me. Again I would have liked to see more
contrast and density again maybe I ask too much of the process. But the
coating was very good edge to edge. For enlarged negatives I, only me,
wondered why you didn't make them slightly larger. The weakest seemed to be
the close up of that cowboy's behind sitting on the fence. Maybe you just
like that (just adding a little humor, take no offense). The other two
showed good interactions and had more to say. I love rodeo and western type
pictures. Keep shooting them.

Diane Bloomfield - Cyanotypes on cloths were very well done. At first we all
leaned to the muslin toned one but the white silk one grew on us. We finally
identified that we would like to see the white silk horizontal fabric lines
more parallel with the horizon line of the image. We also notice the cream
silk fabric lines ran vertically and thought if they were perpendicular to
the horizon it would have flowed better. The angular orientation didn't work
for us. We were viewing prints on a dark table and all your fabric prints
gained substantially when a white backing sheet was placed under them. Those
were nicely done I'm headed to the fabric store tomorrow and will also look
for something to seal the edges. I am curious, was the tannic acid green tea
or a stronger tannic acid?

Suzanne Izzo - Sorry we missed the chance to meet. I wish some of your
creative ideas would rub off. Never in a million years would I have though
to print cyanotype with a graphic negative on colored paper to allow the
paper color to be the dominate color or only color (not sure how to state
that). Even a single image without mirroring would have been impressive. The
stitching threw me a bit and was OK. I like the concept with out it probably
better but I am conservative.

Marek Matusz - Chrysotype (think that's right) A gold process subject to
extreme changes caused by the humidity. Unpredictable so I understand but
leans toward reddish, purple hues. Wonderful split tones and well executed.
Feel I am walking on thin ice due to lack of knowledge but I can say this
was very artistically done. I need to learn how to do that.

Daryl Baird - Argyrotype of Stonehedge. Very interesting and caused a little
disagreement between us. Mostly positive. Not just another "Stonehedge
Picture" was one comment, ruined a good potential picture of Stonehedge was
another. Looks like you do have something to say Daryl keep saying it your
way. The grain was a bit much for me didn't bother one, the other thought it
added to the image. Great chocolate tones.

Keith Gerling - Didn't save the best for the last. It's the way they came
out of the box. But these blew us away. Best Gums I personally have ever
seen. I'll take "just another travel picture" like that Tuscany one any
time. The process added so much to the presentation it just was like icing
on a cake. We all agreed the #3 nude had the highlights blown out a little.
#4 was the best nude and was excellent. Great pose. Tones were absolutely
beautiful, smooth, we could feel the texture of the skin. Said you were off
to other things, well OK. But those were wonderful. Almost made me want to
try gum.

Thanks and hooray to all of you!!!
Rocky
Houston, TX