[Fwd: Traveling Portfolio Cheers]

From: mmatusz@pdq.net
Date: 08/31/04-02:05:25 PM Z

List,
I wanted to add a few comments to the excellent write up that Rocky has
done. First of all I feel guilty for not including a good description of
my work. There were a few portfolios like that and we kept guessing to the
technical details. I have a few additional comments and if your name is
not here that means that Rocky covered most of what we had to say.

Jan Kapoor: I was captivated by the unfolding story of your pinhole
images. I have several pinhole cameras of different sizes, I am ready to
built a multiple pinole camera. I kept going back to the photographs
trying to unravel the mystery. Well done! It seems like the medium fits
the story of the picture well. This kind of imagery might even look good
in cyanotype.
Speaking of cyanotype:

Diane Bloomfield: I liked the cyanotype on fabric, silk was my favorite, I
was really impressed with the color of the toned cyanotype. Could you
share the formula for the toner? This is the blue that I could live with,
well I could even learn to like it. Off to the store to buy some fabric.

Don Bryant: VDB of the greenhouse was a weaker image. Too busy for that
small format, very contrasty ending in middle values. I liked the
kalitypes. Smooth tonal gradation, nice composition. I do not have any
experience in any of the two techniques, but it seems from the work
included that kalitype is capable of much better tonal rendention.

Keith Gerling: Bigger is definitely better! I loved all you work other
then nude#3. Pigment stain in the highlights and abrupt color transitions
were disturbing to me. The picture tried to look too much like a color
photograph, but yet there was no harmony in the colors.
The picture of the door is to me a best example of gum printing! It is
full of color nuances, great composition, high contrast thanks to the
metal underprint, yet it looks nothing like a ilfochrome. If this is a
casual travel shot we should all drop our expensive gear, buy travel
cameras and start taking travel pics.
The other nudes were outstanding as well with soft and buttery texture
imparted by the layers of gum. By the way what paper are you using?
As I said these are the additional comments that were not captured by
Rocky, so don't be offended if your name was not here. I learned a lot
from all of you. Thanks for participating.

Marek Matusz