RE: Art rep or not to art rep?

From: Christopher Lovenguth ^lt;chris@chrisportfolio.com>
Date: 12/17/04-04:44:47 PM Z

Well I worry about being locked in to representation and losing
opportunities that I might obtain personally. For example, lets say I end up
seeking out or am approached by someone who represents artists and then lets
say a gallery somewhere approaches me or I seek out trying to be shown in X
gallery, can there be a situation where the art rep can say no because they
don't want me in X gallery? Or lets say I really want to break in to X
market but my art rep keeps pushing my work in Y market even though I feel Y
market isn't where I personally want to be. I guess I'm trying to figure out
how much control over my "career" I could potentially lose. Also, I have a
feeling if in the future one is lucky enough to become successful due to an
artist rep, that might influence new work because wouldn't the art rep
having control over what is marketed out of your portfolio?

I guess all these same things can happen if you get representation in a
gallery as well and they want you to be exclusive with them. I'm just
wondering, since I'm very much still in an early emerging stage and doing
everything myself to get possible shows and exposure, if I should start
looking in to getting someone to be an agent for me or not, or if I should
just continue myself.

-Chris