Re: CMYK separations: a correction

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 12/17/04-03:29:03 PM Z

Katharine Thayer wrote:

 The yellow and magenta separations (I've seen this now
> in three images) are much too thin and look almost solarized; they look
> very strange, flat and low contrast, with outlines around the edges of
> some shapes. And if you print them on gum, you get a really otherwordly
> color balance.

Mark,
It just occurred to me that I have, sitting out on the web, an example
of a gum print from a set of these incorrect CMYK separations. It's not
very good as a print because it was an experiment on Yupo paper and is
affected by Yupo's lack of tooth; it couldn't hang onto the cyan layer
very well. But even though the cyan isn't printed completely, this
example shows very well the excess magenta and yellow that's laid down
by these inaccurate separations, giving the print a very odd color
balance in comparison to the same image printed from RGB separations,
above. The magenta and yellow, as I explained a minute ago, are the
separations most affected by this apprent inability of the separation
engine to produce accurate separations at small sizes.

http://www.pacifier.com/~kthayer/html/Current5.html
kt