Re: Some temperaprint questions - beware! these are dummy,beginners questions

From: Loris Medici ^lt;loris_medici@yahoo.com>
Date: 02/03/04-04:24:57 AM Z

Hello, thanks for the answers,

----- Original Message -----
From: "pete" <temperaprint@blueyonder.co.uk>
To: <alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca>
Sent: Tuesday, February 03, 2004 2:57 AM
Subject: Re: Some temperaprint questions - beware! these are dummy,beginners
questions

> Loris.,
>
> Lets take this one stage at a time
>
> 1) do not use > potassium dichromate solution use amm dichromate

Errr, I don't have access to ammonium dichromate right now. I understand
that when one uses potdi instead of ammdi only the printing speed changes
(due to the different saturated solution amounts: 10-15% with potdi, 25-35%
with ammdi). Can't I make work the process with potdi - just by exposing
say... two times longer than I would with ammdi?

> 1) Mix one spoon of acrylic into one spoon of stem with a stiff brush
> 2) Then add another spoon of stem and mix thoroughly with the stiff
brush
> 3) Then ad a further four parts of stem = ditto =
> 4) Then add one part washing up liquid. Magic ingredient !!

Washing-up liquid? Are you referring to film wetting agents/washing aids
like Ilfosol or Photoflo? Or is it something else? (again, perhaps a silly
question from a non-native English speaker)

> > in the emulsion. What can I do to make the pigment dissolve better? Is
this
> > some "operational" error or was is due to my errant mixing method? Or it
is
> > the choice of pigment that caused the error?
>
> No you are just getting used to mixing

Okay, you're saying whatever the pigment is, it will mix homogenously with
good mixing practice and the aid of "washing up liquid". But I'm somehow
suspicious with Winsor-Newton Galeria Burnt Umber (after seeing all these
undissolved pigment particles)... anyway, time to try harder...

> > I weren't pressing the brush then there was thousands of bubbles across
> > where it passed.
>
> When did I say you should use a foam brush it may work for gum but not
> egg-tempera-print
> >
> > Question 2: What I did wrong with the foam brush
> ? Using it
> >
> > Question 3: The unsuccessful coating with the foam brush looked very
thin to
> > me. What is the correct method
> Don't use a foam brush use a foam roller

Oopps! It seems that I made a serious typo, actually I used a "foam roller"
not a "foam brush"! Maybe the roller wasn't of good quality. Anyway, will
try with a glass rod untill I manage to find another type of roller (again,
most stores are closed due to the religious fest). Don't know if I will
manage to coat evenly with the glass rod but I'm sure I won't have these
bubbles with it...

I've read your second message. Okay: I will coat, expose and develop - and
repeat the cycle until I get satisfactory density and tone.

A last question: Do you change the STEM-pigment ratio in several coats (such
like in gum: making a very diluted coat, expose longer for higligths then
making a heavy coat and expose litthe for shadows...?)

Thanks again,
Loris.