Re: UV exposure light boxes

From: Sandy King ^lt;sanking@CLEMSON.EDU>
Date: 02/03/04-11:54:47 AM Z

Michael,

For prints up to 12X20 I think you would do about
equally well with a bank of 10-12 24" BL tubes, a
1000 watt metal halide unit spaced about 35" from
the printing frame, or a platemaker such as the
NuARc 26-IK. Based on current ebay prices it will
cost you about twice as much to buy a 26-IK as as
to purchase the parts and assemble either the UV
bank or a 1000 watt Luminaire metal halid unit.

I would recommend a vacuum easel with either the
UV bank of MH light, though you might be able to
get away with a well adjusted printing frame with
the HID lamp because it functions more like a
point source. To counter this, you can get fairly
decent consistency in exposures with the UV bank
without a light integrator. With the platemaker
you will get both light integration and vacuum
easel built in.

Someone will surely disagree with me buy in my
experience there is no difference in image
quality between the use of the two types of
lights.

Sandy