Re: Some temperaprint questions - beware! these are dummy,beginners questions

From: Loris Medici ^lt;loris_medici@yahoo.com>
Date: 02/04/04-09:26:31 AM Z

Hi Dave,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave Soemarko" <fotodave@dsoemarko.us>
To: <alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca>
Sent: Wednesday, February 04, 2004 4:50 PM
Subject: Re: Some temperaprint questions - beware! these are dummy,beginners
questions

> Hi Loris,
>
> I followed this discussion. It looks like maybe you are not interpreting
the
> instructions correctly. Here is a few observations:
>
> 1. Unless Pete changed his instruction, the original instructions use
liquid
> acrylic. It sounds like you are using regular acrylic. Is that true? If
so,
> the proportion of acrylic to the sensitizer might be too high.

Err. Yes; I use regular tube acrylic. I didn't see any liquid acrylic in the
art stores (only Ecoline branded liquid watercolors by Talens - I think
these are dye based highly fugitive colors for children). But this shouldn't
be a problem: I remember reading in "The Fundementals of Temperaprint" that
1/4 to 1" of tube pigment to 6 - 12 parts of STEM can be used in
Temperaprint.

> 2. The coating on the RC paper should be on the back side, not the gelatin
> side. The idea is to use the plastic/resin.

I see. That's something I was certainly doing wrong. I tried to coat to the
gelatine side. But isn't temperaprint suitable to make on a wide variety of
surfaces like glass, wood ect.? So the gelatine side of the RC paper
shouldn't be causing much problem (anyway will try with the backside too).

> 3. To coat using the foam roller, you should roll in the "emulsion" and
then
> roll on a piece of glass or tile, like you would do the inking in
> printmkaing; and then from the glass/tile, you roll to the yupo or RC
paper.
> That way you get a really thin and even layer or coating.

I have no idea how they ink in printmaking. Which is my biggest handicap I
think. (now I understand what Pete was refferring by saying "if you could
see it how it is done..."). Okay: I roll in the emulsion, then roll to a
piece of glass (if too damp then to a piece of newsprint) and then to the
paper. My problem with bubbles was because the foam brush was too damp then.

> I tried Temperaprint 5 or 6 years ago with Pete's help over emails. I got
> nice image on 3rd trial. At that time the synthetic paper Kimdura was hard
> to find, so I didn't do much further. Now that Yupo is so easy to get, I
> might do some printing with this method.

I will go to the store stocking Yupo tomorrow or the day after tomorrow and
evaluate the paper (I don't even know how much does it costs).

Thank you very much,
Loris.