RE: Quadtone Inks & Digital Negatives

From: Loris Medici ^lt;loris_medici@yahoo.com>
Date: 02/06/04-01:11:27 AM Z

Sorry for replying in place of Joe but I also had some experience with a
dye based printer (Epson 890) and cyanotype (which needs a much flatter
negative compared to Vandyke/Kallitype). The negatives from the 890 were
so flat (in other words; the dMax of the negative was so low) that the
higlights were exposed considerably before the emulsion under clearest
parts of the negative reaches dMax (and this is was with Cyanotype which
is a more contrasty emulsion compared to Vandyke.)... I think my problem
was a combination of inadequate maximum density (UV blocking capacity I
mean) with dye inks and my inability do make a good working curve for a
colorized negative using these inks.

Regards,
Loris.