Re: Pay to show in galleries? When to make that choice if at all....

From: PhotoSpace Gallery ^lt;clorenz@telusplanet.net>
Date: 02/06/04-11:21:01 AM Z

That's a good question Christopher, I would love to know how other artists
make it all happen. Is it about flooding the market with your images? The
reason we take the risk is to create exposure for our space. Can we promote
an interest in photography, if people see the type of work we bring in, will
they keep coming back? I think it's all about creating a buzz, about your
images, about your gallery, whatever. Getting your name out (without huge
expense!), having access to other opportunities. I've also wondered how
galleries can show the more conceptual type of art and make enough money to
pay rent. I guess some of these shows are sponsored, or maybe these types
of shows are paid for mostly by the artist, just to get noticed?

I think your point about the saturation of galleries is valid, and you could
also say the same about photographic images in general, their availability
on the internet and directly from the photographer. From my own experience,
fine art photography seems to be all about promotion, and not necessarily
the imagery. How is your money best spent? If a gallery can get some media
attention, how much is that worth? Spending money on a website is a great
idea, but you still need to find a way to promote it.

I see it as "pay for promotion", with a gallery show being one outlet,
websites another. I would be interested to hear from other members what
kind of sales their websites generate, and how they compare this to paying
for exhibits? Do any of you belong to the gallery type sites that promote
your work for you?

Claudia Lorenz