Re: Comments on Pictorialism

From: Sandy King ^lt;sanking@clemson.edu>
Date: 02/08/04-02:54:12 PM Z

Judy Seigel wrote:

>On Sat, 7 Feb 2004, Sandy King wrote:
>> ...The presentation of the
>> picturesque is the first and foremost
>> characteristic of Pictorialism......
>
>> 5) the use of alternative printing processes:
>> carbon and carbro, gum bichromate, oil and
>> bromoil, direct carbon, and platinum.
>
>Sandy leaves room for interpretation here... that #5 could be "an interest
>in " alternative printing processes... But there is still a mythic faux
>pictorialism created, even as I write, by today's 'revival." There was an
>"interest in" these processes, but MOST PHOTOGRAPHS were on factory paper.

Well, behold, I completely agree with Judy on this point, at least as
it applies to the late pictorial period, i.e. the 1920s and 30s. When
I did my research for the book on Spanish Pictorialism I published
some fifteen years ago I actually did a count of all photographs of
the period that were presented as pictorial that could be identified
by process, wherever I found them. Less than 25% of the photographs
that could be so identified were pigment prints and almost all of the
other 75% were made with factory papers, using the so-called
pictorial techniques of soft-focus lenses, texture screens, etc.

On the other hand, if you go back to the period of the origins of the
movement (say 1895-19110), I am fairly certain that one would find a
much higher percentage of pictorial work was done with one of the
pigment processes or in platinum. If one could formulate an adequate
methodology for making the count?

Sandy