Re: light source for very small prints?

From: Tom Ferguson ^lt;tomf2468@pipeline.com>
Date: 02/09/04-09:27:39 AM Z

Eric, there is nothing "wrong" with small prints. I have a whole
portfolio of 2x3 inch infrared images from a local botanical garden.
They just seemed "right" at that size. Un-sellable and mostly
un-showable. The "public" wants art that will "hold up" in large homes
and above the sofa. So, sadly, I just considered it a "personal
project".

But, my point is: you can enlarge your medium format negs and make alt
prints at any size. I've "crossed over" to doing enlarged negs
digitally. See Dan Burkholder's book. Lots of folks here are still
doing optical enlargements and would be happy to assist you. Basically
you take a B&W neg, contact print onto film to get a positive, then
enlarge the positive to get a 4x5 or 8x10 or 16x20 negative. Most folks
use lith film and fancy developers to get continuos tone out of it.
There are LOTS of variations. I was fond of shooting E-6 slide film and
enlarging onto camera film. That way I only had one step, but the film
is more $$.

Hope that helps.

On Monday, February 9, 2004, at 07:02 AM, Eric Maquiling wrote:

Tom Ferguson
http://www.ferguson-photo-design.com