Re: Chrome Alum Gelatin hardener

From: Judy Seigel ^lt;jseigel@panix.com>
Date: 02/09/04-02:54:32 PM Z

On Sun, 8 Feb 2004 wcharmon@wt.net wrote:
> Judy:
> I definitely have experienced this, and very consistently at that. After about
> 4-5 days, the sizing just goes yellow on me if I haven't taken it through the
> 'wet steps' at least once. I tried getting rid of it with soaking, then some
> bisulfite, and it just proved to be very stubborn and did not disappear once
> it showed up. FWIW, it seems to be related to the amount of air to which the
> print is exposed. The print on top of a stack always yellows first, followed
> by the ones with the more restricted circulation. I suppose it is possible
> that I have some bum glyoxal - I am working from the same bottle that I bought
> two or three years ago.

But you don't say whether you rinse the hardened paper before it dries.
That is, harden for 5 (or however many minutes) and then rinse in fresh
water before drying. I'm trying to figure out why it doesn't yellow for
everybody.... and that might possibly be the variable. And since you say
that having "run it through wet steps at least once" prevents it.... well,
it's a thought.

J.