Re: Chrome Alum Gelatin hardener

From: wcharmon@wt.net
Date: 02/09/04-07:06:03 PM Z

But you don't say whether you rinse the hardened paper before it dries.
That is, harden for 5 (or however many minutes) and then rinse in fresh
water before drying. I'm trying to figure out why it doesn't yellow for
everybody.... and that might possibly be the variable. And since you say
that having "run it through wet steps at least once" prevents it.... well,
it's a thought.

J.

Judy:

No I haven't been rinsing the paper, because I have been using the one step
hardener-in-the-gelatin sizing routine. I am brush or rod sizing the pd print,
and then letting it dry on a screen.

So it may well be a procedural difference that is introducing the effect. One
thing to keep in mind is that I notice this yellowing more because I typically
do not size all the way to the edge of the paper. So could it be that maybe it
isn't being noticed in some instances because the entire paper is sized and
there is no unadulterated paper with which to allow a comparison? ( as would
be true in the case of tray sizing)

On a second note, I googled glutaraldehyde, and the first two pages were
health warnings and MSDS information about possible side effects from exposure
to this chemical. These effects sounded awfully similar to those of
formaldehyde. Is there any other inherent advantage other than the ones
mentioned. (I guess this part is directed at Ryuji)

Clay