Re: Chrome Alum Gelatin hardener

From: Sandy King ^lt;sanking@CLEMSON.EDU>
Date: 02/10/04-11:02:50 AM Z

I don't know why gloxal does not yellow for everybody, but it sure
yellowed for me and I won't use it anymore.

In a thread quite a long time ago someone mentioned that the shell
life of glyoxal is limited and if true this might have something to
with the yellowing. Or, perhaps it is something in the water?

In any event chrome alum works perfectly well in my application,
(hardening final support papers for the carbon transfer process). It
may well be that chrome alum hardened crosslinks are much weaker than
those made by aldehyde hardeners, but in my work sufficient hardening
for the purpose is quite satisfactory.

Sandy