Why make your own emulsion?

From: Sandy King ^lt;sanking@clemson.edu>
Date: 02/15/04-01:13:20 PM Z

Ryuji,

I have never thought of the negative as anything
other than a step in a process that leads to a
final photographic image. Clearly the nature of
the negative material in terms of its contrast,
curve, sensitivity to light of different colors,
etc. can have a very important impact ion the
final image. For example, albumen prints made
from wet-plate collodion negatives have a
distinctive look that results, at least in part,
from the negative material itself.

Assuming that your interest is in a final image,
what are the distinctive characteristics of your
emulsions that give distinctive qualities to the
final image, and what are those qualities?

If your interest and joy is in emulsion making
per se my question above does not need an answer.

Sandy King