Re: sizing with glyoxal

From: Ryuji Suzuki ^lt;rs@silvergrain.org>
Date: 02/15/04-01:18:20 PM Z

From: "Christina Z. Anderson" <zphoto@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: sizing with glyoxal
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 14:03:15 -0500

> It says, from Bostick and Sullivan, "Glyoxal 40% in water"

So you are using roughly 40% glyoxal to gelatin. That seems awful lot
to me. Much of glyoxal is not bound to gelatin, and this one big
suspect for the cause of yellowing. Of course, how fast yellowing
occurs depends on temp, pH, and other factors, such as air contact in
case of glyoxal.

If you mix 10% glutaraldehyde to gelatin, you get very stiff
rubber-like solid that looks kinda like a giant eraser. I usually need
glutaraldehyde in quantity of 1-2% of gelatin to harden my emulsion
containing 3-8% gelatin in water.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"Reality has always had too many heads." (Bob Dylan, Cold Irons Bound, 1997)