Re: sizing with glyoxal

From: Christina Z. Anderson ^lt;zphoto@bellsouth.net>
Date: 02/15/04-06:11:09 PM Z

Ryuji,

This is very interesting...

OK, now let's get my math straight here.

Using a 40% solution of glyoxal, 25 ml per 1000 ml sizing solution which
contains 30g of gelatin, that would equate to 10g glyoxal per 1000ml. You
are saying I only need 1-2% of the GELATIN amount, thus I only need .3 to .6
g of glyoxal which equates to only about 1-2 ml of glyoxal 40%?? I wonder
how I could test to see if this is sufficient hardening for gum printing,
short of sizing a bunch of paper...I have never seen glyoxal in formulas for
gum used in this small of an amount. Have we just always erred on the side
of overkill?

Or am I reading your message wrong?

Chris