Re: Scanning for Stitching with Vuescan

From: steve_lewis@sbcglobal.net
Date: 02/21/04-03:58:54 PM Z

Sandy, First I apologize for the confusion, I inadvertently copied all of
Ed's message to me, including his signature, and pasted it in my message to
the list. To the best of my knowledge, Ed's not a subscriber and he can't
be blamed for my errors and omissions.

With the 2450, VueScan doesn't provide the option of locking the film base
either. Unfortunately, the only way I've found to do it is to scan a raw
file first and then scan from that file to my final BW tiff. Fortunately,
scanning from a raw file is much faster that scanning from the 2450 so it
doesn't add that much time to my workflow and, better yet, so far Ed's
solution seems to work. Of course, the raw files take up a huge amount of
disk space but I've been making them anyway to avoid handling the plates
more than is absolutely necessary.

With respect to the color settings, my knowledge is rudimentary but I
understand that, while VueScan may be set to scan a BW negative, it's
actually scanning RGB. The conversion, if any, takes place when the file is
written. You can see this clearly in the preview if you move one of the
color sliders in the color tab to +4 and leave the other sliders where they
are.

Scanning with color balance set to none works well because it prevents
VueScan from making it's own tonal adjustments but the resulting scan is
usually far from perfect. I'm more comfortable adjusting the levels and
curves in PhotoShop so that's fine by me. You can also scan with color
balance set to manual and adjust the various sliders to get your scan closer
to final. I've found the second approach helpful with certain of these
plates that have a very dark, greenish brown stain, sort of like pyro on
steroids.

Thanks for the information on the 4870. It certainly sounds like a
worthwhile investment.

Regards,

Steve