Re: judy-step tablets

From: Judy Seigel ^lt;jseigel@panix.com>
Date: 02/25/04-04:26:37 PM Z

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004, Adam. Waterson wrote:
> what do u recommend for me? i have a nice densitrometer that i got
> when my lab closed (originally 3g) so i can do some testing... i am
> doing albumen printing, which requires an AVERAGE density of 1.7 to
> 2.0, but i don't really know how to test that.
> adam.

Adam, That means there should be 1.7 to 2.0 density range as measured on a
densitometer *between* the lowest shadow and the densest highlight where
you want detail, obtained by subtracting the lower number from the
higher.. So when you're making the negative you measure your test strip by
the densitometer, see what the range is, and adjust exposure and/or
development accordingly. (I put a piece of plastic wrap on the stage when
the neg is still wet, & also blot it -- but there is a difference in the
reading dry.)

Needless to say, that's a lot easier to do when you're making an
*internegative* by projection (or contact) because then you can make a
test strip without risking your actual photo scored from the highest peak
in Darien.... But if you're doing view camera, there probably are data
sheets pertaining to the film you're using that tell ASA and development
for given densities... maybe in one of those view camera books.

Anyway, what the statement means is that to get full density in the print
you need a certain range in the neg... try extending with Saran wrap !
Meanwhile, you could start by measuring shadows and highlights of some
negatives you've already printed... It's pretty interesting...

J.