Re: FW: UV blocker in TMAX100 base?

From: Judy Seigel ^lt;jseigel@panix.com>
Date: 02/25/04-04:09:05 PM Z

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 Ender100@aol.com wrote:
> Two steps difference on a Stouffer 21 is .30 log density., which means by
> using the substrate you are talking about you would need to double the standard
> printing time to compensate for it. I'm not sure what you mean by 2 minutes
> out of 8 minutes,,,,

Good grief Mark, if you don't know, how am I supposed to know...? But
that was actually a bad choice of words late at night, from memory. So I
have gone back to the test strips (found them ! tah dah !!!) and note
the following:

Both were cyanotype exposed 8 minutes, but done several days apart and NOT
with the same strip.

The one under a piece of plastic from a stack bought as "antistatic" (very
clear & fairly lightweight) shows a just barely detectable difference on
step 1, but a very distinct difference at step 8, though still some tone.
The not-covered side has very slight "veiling" at step 9, but not a real
step. So maybe that would be "one step" less... but 7 of the steps are
lighter.

The one under Saran wrap also shows 8 steps, but step #1 is the same, step
#2 is nearly the same, that is you wouldn't notice a difference if you
weren't looking for it, difference detectable on step #3, more noticeable
on 4, 5, 6 & 7, both #8s are pretty pale and probably no #9 at all.

That's what I mean about using the same strip -- I don't know if the
difference at the very light top end is from difference in the strips or
my handling, or the masking material.

In any event, I don't know how you'd designate it -- be my guest.
However it did occur to me that if the difference under the Saran wrap
holds for other emulsions... it could be a handy way of increasing
contrast without additives or intensifying the neg. Since D-max is
virtually the same, you ought to be able to fill in the mid and high tones
without by adding exposure -- without flattening the image.

J.