Re: Advice on Microscope

From: Richard Knoppow ^lt;dickburk@ix.netcom.com>
Date: 02/28/04-08:33:16 PM Z

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sandy King" <sanking@clemson.edu>
To: <alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca>
Sent: Saturday, February 28, 2004 3:16 PM
Subject: Re: Advice on Microscope

> Mark,
>
> Can I make stereoscopic photos of tabular grain film with
the
> binocular type microscopes?
>

> Best,
>
> Sandy

   I don't think you can see the actual grains of normal
film with a standard microscope let alone a low power stereo
microscope. You need a magnification on the order of 10,000
X to see the actual grains and I think that may be low. Most
of the published pictures of grains are made with an
electron microscope. What you will see in the stereo
microscope are the grain clumps one seens in a grain
focuser. These may be actual clumps or stochastic clumps due
to chance alignment of grains at different depths of the
emulsion.
  BTW, Bausch & Lomb also made excellent microscopes as
did/does Reichert.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA