Re: Advice on Microscope

From: Sandy King ^lt;sanking@clemson.edu>
Date: 02/29/04-09:41:14 AM Z

Ryuji wrote:

>From: Richard Knoppow <dickburk@ix.netcom.com>
>Subject: Re: Advice on Microscope
>Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 18:33:16 -0800
>
>> I don't think you can see the actual grains of normal
>> film with a standard microscope let alone a low power stereo
>> microscope.
>
>Richard, I don't think any of those was intended to be
>serious. Sandy's initial post was concerned about processed films
>containing image forming grains. Of course, in such a preparation one
>wouldn't expect to see tabular shaped crystals. Silver halide crystals
>used for X-ray and high speed negative applications are at most a
>couple of microns (and everything else smaller) in diameter and you
>know the limit of optical microscope...

Yes, my message directed to Mark about tabular grain was not mean to
be serious.

What I want to be able to do with a microscope is visually evaluate
and photograph image grain produced by different combinations of
films and developers. I am assuming that our perception of grain is
based on clumps or clusters of silver metal particles. I imagine that
something on the order of 40-80X would satisfy my needs. They key for
me is not a lot of magnification but the ability to use the
instrument for photography.

Alternatively, does anyone know if it would be possible to evaluate
image grain using a scanner? I assume that at some high dpi a scanner
is capable of seeing grain clumps, right? If that is correct, does
anyone know what that figure might be?

Sandy